Archive for the ‘Textiles’ Category

JoJo’s Dress is done

Wednesday, May 5th, 2010

Hi there,

I got JoJo’s dress completely painted today. Raven picked it up earlier to take back to his lovely wife who will finish sewing it. Jo is planning on wearing it to an event next month, so I’ll see if I can pin her down for a quick photo shoot, then I’ll post more pictures.

Thanks,
S

More Leaves Painted on JoJo’s Dress

Monday, May 3rd, 2010

Hi there,

I have gotten more leaves painted on JoJo’s dress. Here’s the latest pics.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Enjoy!
S

New Painting Project, Another Dress

Monday, April 26th, 2010

Hi there,

Here’s the new painting project I’m working on this week. It’s another dress, this one is for my friend JoJo. It’s a dark green linen with fall maple leaves on it. The leaves will go from the top if her right shoulder, kitty-corner across her back to her left hip, then it will continue the spiral down to her right ankle area. I had her come over and I placed the leaves while she was in the dress, so as to not put any where they would accentuate something she didn’t want accentuated.

Here’s the first 2 leaves and some of the branches that I have done so far today. These are the ones at her ankle, near the bottom front hem. I need to let these sit and dry before I paint more.

Photobucket

Enjoy!
S

Another Painted Dress – Dolphins

Thursday, March 18th, 2010

Hi all,

Here’s the pics of another painted SCA dress. This one is for my friend Debs who likes these little black & white dolphins. The 2 in front close to face each other. The other 7 sets are around the hem of the dress.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Enjoy!
S

Illuminated Holly Dress

Saturday, October 10th, 2009

Hi all,

Long time no blog… It’s been busy here with life, SCA and now the Docent Trainee program at the Phoenix Art Museum. In my spare time I’ve been working on illuminating another dress with Holly for a lady named Holly (Maredudd in the SCA). I had some questions on the fabric color of my butterfly dress (it’s light green). This one is light blue.

The medium is fabric paint, even the gold berries. It was not my choice to paint the berries gold, I would have much rather painted them red with shading to make them look almost jewel like.

So, without further ado, here are the pics.

Enjoy!
S

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Elzbieta in her Rats Dress

Sunday, September 13th, 2009

Here’s a pic of Elzbieta in her Rats Dress that Jennifer Richardson and I did the painting on.

Photobucket

Pics of me in the Butterfly Dress

Sunday, September 13th, 2009

Here you go…
S

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Butterfly Dress is Done!

Wednesday, September 9th, 2009

Hi all,

Here are the last pictures of the Butterfly Dress in the works. I will post one of me in the dress after this weekend.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

More Butterflies on Dress

Thursday, September 3rd, 2009

Hi all,

I have the third quarter completed. Yea! 3 down, 1 to go!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Enjoy!

Illuminating a Dress

Monday, August 31st, 2009

Hi all,

A couple of months back I took a class at one of our SCA Collegiums (a weekend event where volunteers teach classes) on how to gold leaf a dress. The best part is… It’s washable! (Thanks for teaching this one Marianna!)

Anyhow… This week I’ve been busily gold leafing and illuminating the front of my new coathardie that Sheila made me (Thanks Sheila!). I ran out of gold leaf and am waiting on my order to come in to do the back.

So here’s what I’ve been working on… (If you want to see larger pics, please go to my Photobucket, listed at the top of the page , and click on Art Work, then Fabric Painting, then Hrefna Dress.)

The illumination is a spiky leaf design (which fits with the period of the dress), that I really hate to draw out each one by hand, so I made a template. One good thing Bristol Board is good for. I started by measuring above the hem by about 1 foot (12 inches). I marked it out with a washable fabric pen, then I freehand drew the vine shape on, and started tracing the leaves where I wanted them.

Photobucket

The next step was to gold leaf the leaves. After they were completely dry, I then outlined them and darkened the vines with a sharpie marker instead of fabric paint. Totally cheating, but worth it as you get a cleaner looking line, and it won’t wash out either.

Photobucket

Butterflies and other bugs were part of this style of illumination. Granted, not usually this many of them on one piece, but I’m taking artistic license. Since I have a couple of butterfly books, I chose European butterflies and photocopied them in black and white and cut them out and used them as stencils. I wanted them to look right, and let’s face it, symmetrical stuff can really be a pain in the but!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Then it was on to drawing on the butterflies with the washable fabric marker and painting them. I used fabric paint instead of acrylic because I have enough time to let it set on the fabric before I intend to wash it.

Butterflies, part one.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here’s the first quarter of the dress finished.

Photobucket

Butterflies part two.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here’s the second quarter of the dress done.

Photobucket

I’m really hoping my order of gold leaf will come in the next couple of day so I can get back to working on this project. It’s quite repetitive and does take up a good chunk of time, but it’s a lot of fun and I LOVE the result so far!